A new year means new resolutions, and many of us decide to become more active as we usher in all that 2022 has to offer. But humans aren’t the only ones that need to get off the couch and get moving- dogs need that too! In fact, your beloved pupper needs plenty of exercise year-round, and the best way to give that to them is to take them on regular walks. Even a short walk around the park makes a difference!
What Is The History Behind Walk Your Dog Month?
- In 2017, The Association Of Pet Obesity Prevention released a clinical study saying that 56% of dogs in the US were obese, which translates to 50 million dogs throughout the country!
- Obesity in dogs can result in other conditions such as high blood pressure, arthritis, kidney disease, and various forms of cancer. Your dog’s lifespan is also cut shorter, and their quality of life is lower, parallel to these other conditions.
- In recent years, Walk Your Dog Month became more commonplace to promote a healthy lifestyle for your doggo while also giving yourself time to bond with them.
- Walking your dog, rain or shine, is necessary for their fecal removal; however, regularly walking your dog has become even more beneficial for their overall health and well-being. After all, dogs are a human’s best friend, and what better way to start the year right than taking your dog on regular walks?
What Are Some Ways I Can Ensure My Dog Is Getting Enough Exercise This New Year?
- During your walks, you can play fetch with your dog! If temperatures aren’t ideal, you can make it a point to get your blood circulating indoors as well—yoga, jumping jacks, pilates, even walking indoors. You can also buy an electronic toy to chase, which can be helpful for your dog to get their daily exercise.
- Bring some variety into your walking routine! Go on the “road less traveled” and try going to the dog park or a friend’s house. You can even invite your friends and their dogs to join the fun!
- Know your dog’s limits! In pursuit of a healthier lifestyle for your dog, you shouldn’t overwhelm them with long routes. Knowing how much walking time is enough for your dog is a decision you’ll have to make based on your dog’s age, breed, and physical condition. Even if you don’t know your dog’s optimal walking range, they will give you clues on whether it’s time to go home or go a few more laps.
Caudle Vet Clinic is the premier veterinary solution for all of your furry friends’ needs! We primarily offer services for dogs and cats in Nashville and the surrounding areas, and we specialize in complete health and wellness exams, parasite prevention and treatment, and vaccinations. Our highly trained physicians take care of your precious pets like they’re our own. Contact us today at (615) 227-6230. We’d be happy to get your pets’ new year on the right track.