Although summer brings sunshine and longer days, it can also bring rising temperatures and hot weather, which can be detrimental and dangerous for pet safety and health. However, even as the temperature intensifies, there are several ways you can combat the summer heat to make sure you and your pets stay cool and safe!
- Make sure your pet has plenty of cool, clean water to drink. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Just like humans, your pet can also get dehydrated if they don’t drink enough water, especially during the summer months when they sweat in the heat. Be sure to regularly give your pet fresh, clean water to drink.
- Provide shade. The summer sun roasts humans and animals alike, so do your best to provide a cool, shaded area for your pet to rest and get a respite from the sun. This is particularly important if your pet is an outdoor-only pet, as they are directly exposed to the sun during all daylight hours and don’t have Central Air cooling them off!
- Don’t over-exercise your pet. While exercise is important, your pet probably can’t operate at optimal energy levels and tires easily when it’s hot outside. Over-exertion can potentially lead to overheating or other problems. Keep your pet indoors if possible on the hottest days of the year!
- Never leave your pet unsupervised in a vehicle or hot, humid closed-off environment. Leaving your pet in the car while summer temperatures hit record highs can lead to death or severe sickness. Remember, your pet is a living, breathing animal just like you. Be conscious of where your pet is during hot summer days and check in on it every once in a while.
- Avoid blacktop. When the sun is shining bright, blacktop (also known as asphalt or pavement), absorbs the heat from the sun’s rays. When your pet’s sensitive paws or feet touch the hot blacktop, it can severely burn or hurt your pet. On especially hot summer days, avoid allowing your pets on it at all costs!
These are just a few of many tips to keep your pet safe during the hot days of summer. Don’t let the summer heat affect your pet’s well-being!
Here at Caudle Vet Clinic, we know that your pet’s health and safety is one of your top priorities, and we make it our responsibility to serve your pet to the best of our abilities so it enjoys a long, healthy, fulfilling life. If your pet is due for a vaccination, a check-up, or is experiencing illness, aging, or other unusual symptoms, give us a call at (615) 227-6230 to set up an appointment today.