Your dog is an important family member who deserves to be treated with the best care. The ingredients in the foods they eat are a top concern for you as a pet parent, and we understand that. Your dog’s diet should be a healthy mix of proteins, vitamins, minerals, and carbs. You also want to ensure that your pup is getting enough water and eating enough healthy fats during mealtimes. Fido’s well-being is determined by the food they eat, so they must get enough food and water to nourish their brain and soul.
What Vital Ingredients Should You Look For When Dog Food Shopping?
- Animal-based proteins should be among the top three ingredients in your dog’s food. Chicken or beef is usually the top ingredient in wet dog food, but it’s essential to check that the dog food you buy has a meat meal or a byproduct meal as the third ingredient.
- You also want to support your dog’s digestive health by buying products with whole fruits and vegetables like pumpkin, butternut squash, broccoli, and brussel sprouts.
- Look for whole grains when you’re going dog food shopping! Examples like brown rice and oats provide crucial vitamins and minerals for your dog’s overall health.
What Are Some Common Misconceptions About Dog Food Ingredients?
- It has long been a common misconception that whole meat is far better than meat meal in dog food. This is false! Meat meal can still be a great source of protein if you’ve determined it is good quality. The difference between meat and meat meal is that the latter is a more concentrated form of protein because it doesn’t have the water content that whole meat does.
- You may have heard stories about corn being a top allergen for canines. While this may be true for some dogs, corn is actually a good source of carbs for your dog and helps with coat and immune system function.
- You may want to think again about that one! Byproducts are actually very digestible and contain nutrients not found in muscle meat without the horns, teeth, and other items found in meat intestines.
They don’t call it soul food for nothing! There’s no doubt that food gives your dog energy, and your dog must get the proper nutrients to sustain them throughout the day. At Caudle Vet Clinic, we are as committed to your dog’s well-being as you are- and we’re not just saying that! We provide complete health and wellness exams to ensure your pet is in tip-top shape. With over 45 years of experience in the veterinary industry, we are proud to provide compassionate care for all of your furry friends in East Nashville!